1. I used to think, “Who’s too busy for blogging?” But now, I guess, I get it. Here I am, friends, over-caffeinated, powered solely by oatmeal, and badly in need of a haircut.
2. Last night I had the rare opportunity to head for bed before two in the morning, and I was so giddy to read that I fell asleep deciding between the Rushdie, the Didion, or the Eugenides—instead, waking up hours later to a stack of books that B had piled on the nightstand.
3. In writing a non-fiction piece about being a child liar, I’ve given an awful lot of thought to the idea of manipulation. Story as manipulation and then, well I guess, everything. It’s enough to make you feel slimy if you think about it long enough.
4. Nervous tics. I love them! Not mine, of course, but others: Jittering, fidgeting, compulsive hair-twirling. Pay attention to them and you’ll find them instantly endearing.
4. I am trying to carve space for reading and actual sleeping and my husband, where we don’t talk about work or websites.
5. But I’ll be back, soon, to discuss something weird with you. Promise.